Elon Musk goes to war against social networks that compete with Twitter. The company writes this in a statement on Sunday 18 December “Twitter no longer allows free promotion of certain social networks on Twitter”stating that Facebook, Instagram, Mastodon, Truth Social, Tribel, Post and Nostr are affected, as well “links to social media aggregators like linktr.ee, lnk.bio”. It will therefore be forbidden to tweet: “Thank you for following me @ID on Instagram”.
We recognize that many of our users are active on other social media platforms. However, we will no longer allow fr… https://t.co/lV6ULnz3sZ
Users who violate this policy risk having their account suspended: “If violations of the rule remain an isolated act or a first violation, we may take a number of actions ranging from deleting one or more tweets to temporarily locking account(s)”, details Twitter. But “Any repeat offense will result in a permanent suspension”warns the platform.
Tweets are not the only ones affected by this new policy, as the bio and the user’s name cannot contain a link either, due to a temporary or even permanent suspension.
These new rules have been announced as many Twitter users have recently said they are considering migrating to other platforms, which most likely worries the new boss of the San Francisco-based company. The change also raised the misunderstanding of Jack Dorsey, co-founder of Twitter, a company he left in 2021. ” Why ? “he tweeted soberly.
Suspension and then restoration of journalist accounts
Elon Musk, who bought Twitter for $44 billion, wants to be an ardent defender of freedom of expression, but has sent mixed messages: he has reinstated accounts that were previously banned, including Donald Trump’s, but has also suspended that of Kanye West after the publication of several messages deemed anti-Semitic, and refused to return to the platform of far-right conspirator Alex Jones.
Earlier this week, he had suspended the Twitter accounts of several journalists whom he accused of putting his family at risk. The controversy began Wednesday when the head of Tesla and SpaceX announced he was suspending @elonjet, an account that automatically reported his private jet’s travels. Some accounts then tweeted about the decision. These were reinstated on Saturday, but some said they were told to delete certain posts if they wanted to make full use of the platform.
Saturday night, the Twitter account of Taylor Lorenza journalist from washington post which covers the technology sector for the daily, was suspended by decision of Elon Musk before being reinstated on Sunday. Taylor Lorenz explained that she asked Elon Musk a question via Twitter for an article she’s writing because she couldn’t reach him through traditional channels.
Sally Buzbee, editor of washington postwrote in a statement that “arbitrary suspension of another journalist from Post further undermines Elon Musk’s claim that he intends to make Twitter a platform dedicated to free speech”.
The head of Twitter has angered the EU and the UN, and the vice-president of the European Commission even threatened him with sanctions. On Twitter, exactly Jean-Noel Barrotmentioned the French minister delegate responsible for the digital transition and telecommunications “a practice contrary to freedom of expression which will be illegal in Europe from 2023 thanks to the DSA [Digital Services Act] ».